Author Topic: Gear oil 80-90 chain lube  (Read 482 times)

tigerxc

Gear oil 80-90 chain lube
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:36 AM »
Hi all. Having gone through the usual gamut of sprays over the last few years that are commercially available for lubing  your chain I started using gear oil 80-90 weight 12 months ago and I have to say it beats all other products I have used hands down. My chain is in much better condition after 12 months than I have experienced using commercial sprays and it doesn't seem to need lubing quite as frequently as before. Its even better at not flinging itself all over your wheel than most products I have used!!! saves you loads of dosh as a litre bottler lasts for ages so works out much cheaper:-)

I fill an old fashioned oil can with the stuff to apply it to the o rings while turning the wheel and once the whole chain has been covered wipe it down with a rag. Results have been great, no rust, no tight links, no fling, much easier to find in shops and garages and best of all more money in my pocket!!! Check out this guy who uses it as well https://youtu.be/JtZEguNybKs I would advise applying it to the inside of the chain though.

I have even used this on gate hinges, outside padlocks, double glazed hinges. Much better than wd40!!! Hope this helps you. :)

MickJ

Re: Gear oil 80-90 chain lube
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 04:37:54 PM »
Good topic.
Having noted your observations and checking the u tube link I'm not seeing anything that would alter my approach to chain lubrication.
I'm a Scottoiler fan. Fill the reservoir and forget the issue. I've covered some 19k miles, same sprockets and chain.
Nowt metalic at the back of the bike will rust as it's smothered in oil + there are a number of members who won't ride to close to me to avoid the oil tsunami in my wake.
We had this topic a while back and got quite an outpouring of advise and comment.

Egg on Leggs

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
I have a Scottoiler on my VTEC, last chain did 58,800 miles.

tigerxc

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »
You sure its not a belt drive!! lol ;)

Egg on Leggs

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
You sure its not a belt drive!! lol ;)

I am sure, it is a proper motorcycle you know.  ;D